Tuesday, March 25, 2014

JesseJackman.xxx | Classical Caber: “Sonata for Flute and Piano”

JesseJackman.xxx | Classical Caber: “Sonata for Flute and Piano”

http://jessejackman.xxx/files/2012/09/IMG_8489.jpg
Like any artist, Dirk’s style has changed over time as his skills
have grown and matured. The pieces I’ve posted so far have been some of
Dirk’s older works; his rag, for example, dates back to when he was 16,
and the Mount Desert Island Suite is already about 12 years old. In fact,
just last week Dirk asked me why I was posting his older stuff. “I want
people to hear what my style sounds like now,” he explained. With that
in mind, I’m happy to share with you the 4th movement of his Sonata for 
Flute and Piano, completed in 2011.

Here is Dirk’s take on piece:
openquoteThe Sonata for Flute and Piano
started off as sketches for a much smaller, simpler piece I wanted to
be able to play with my boyfriend at the time, who played flute. Those
first notes, written in spring of 2003, are still there, now the
beginning of the third movement of four. This piece has one of the
longest gestations of anything I’ve written, started in 2003 and not
finished until 2011. In that time it completely changed in scope and
difficulty, now well over twenty minutes long and challenging to even
expert flautists and pianists. The second movement in particular is one
of the thorniest thickets I’ve ever asked two musicians to machete their
way through. This fourth movement was meant as the foil for all the
angst that precedes it. More playful and lighthearted, it ends a rather
turbulent piece with a little smile.”

Perhaps down the road I’ll post the other three movements of the Sonata,
or Dirk might even release it on iTunes. (I’m happy to say we’re making
some good progress with getting that set up.) But for now, please enjoy
the 4th movement. Dirk and I hope it puts a little smile on your face
too!



Dirk at his parents' piano, Thanksgiving 2013

No comments: